Part of the reason I reactivated my filofax was to create a chores list I could follow.
I’m incredibly scatter-brained and I forget to do daily things very easily.
I also wanted to keep my new house really clean and tidy!
It took me a week or so to perfect it, but I’m happy with what I’ve come up with now – I’m maybe not 100% on the format, but that can be changed later. I’ll also dump stickers on it when I find some cool ones!
So, my daily list goes like this:
- Put house phone by chair (as I’m usually buried under knitting, saves me moving if it ever rings)
- Feed the pets
- Make a loaf in the bread machine (if needed, which it usually is)
- Groom Isis the Fluffy Puppy
- Hang laundry and empty kitchen bins (general & recycling) into wheelie bins outside
- Vacuum lounge
Then I can have a little rest and a cuppa, if required before doing the afternoon list (top of the picture)
- Vacuum stairs & landing
- Check J’s room is tidy
- Wash up & wipe kitchen
- Kitchen bins (if I didn’t do them with the morning chores)
- Do a weekly chore
Then, I don’t have to do anymore chores until the evening. Evening chores are:
- Cook & wash up
- Bring in laundry
- Fold & sort dry laundry/hang wet laundry on airer
- Put housephone & iPad on charge
- Put a load of laundry on to wash
That’s it for the daily chores! I do one ‘weekly chore’ after the afternoon chores and those are:
- Blitz kitchen
- Clean bathroom
- Put bins out – this is done on a Wednesday
- Clean windows
- Clean out chinchillas
- Wash kitchen/hall/bathroom floor
- Check the electric and gas meters
I don’t bother to tick the daily chores as I tend to do them in order – for example, I groom Isis and hang laundry before vacuuming so I don’t make carpet dirty again. I do, however, check the weekly chores as I don’t have a specific order for those (except the bins one) and I do whichever one I feel up to on the day.
Creating this chores list has made my life sooooooo much easier, it breaks the housework down into manageable chunks so I don’t feel quite so overwhelmed and I’m more inclined to do them!
At first it took ages to do each list and I really needed that sit down and cuppa between the morning and afternoon chores, but now I’m finding I tend to go from vacuuming the lounge straight to going up the stairs with the vacuum and getting on with the afternoon chores!
If you’re having problems with your day to day housework, write it down! It really does help, you tackle one chore at a time and then move onto the next one!